Burkina Faso

My hotel was very close to the western road out of Niamey and a long way from the bush-taxi park, and so I decided to try my luck on the road. I quickly realised this was a schoolboy error – no long-distance shared-taxi was ever going to start out from Niamey anything less than 200% full. I was just contemplating the hot trudge back across the city when a vehicle pulled up and the driver asked where I was headed. The border with Burkina Faso I replied. And then where? Ouagadougou. “No problem, get in, I will take you to Ouaga.”

Marc was the West Africa IT support division of a major hotel chain. The support call-centre was the study in his home, and whenever an issue was not soluble by telephone, he would travel to the hotel, driving or flying as the distance demanded. The back of his car was filled with cardboard boxes containing a rather random selection of bits of PC. If I understood correctly, he had just been to clear a paper-jam in the printer in reception in Niamey Novotel, a round trip of over 1000km, accompanied by his girlfriend: free hotel rooms were a perk of the job.
I asked why he chose to base himself in Burkina Faso of all places. Surely there were more sophisticated options, such as Cote d’Ivoire or Senegal? “I am a native,” he replied. “My father was Brazilian, my mother was French, and I was born and raised in Burkina. Three passports!” He held them up.

“Where was I planning to stay in Ouaga?” This was an interesting question. My guidebook mentioned several pleasant sounding hotels or guest-houses. The only problem was that they all cost at least five times my budget, partly due to the inflated value of the CFA. It also mentioned a couple of unpleasant sounding places, where I was left with the impression that I would be lucky to retain any of my possessions after a night or two’s stay, even if I was not actually expected to pay by the hour. Based on this, I had tentatively planned to avoid Ouagadougou altogether, either by not arriving in the first place or by travelling straight on after I got there. This was too much for my French to explain, so I settled on “don’t know” as a simpler answer. Marc and his girlfriend exchanged some incomprehensible joke which included mention of the viler hotel options and much laughter; I caught the gist. “You can stay a couple of nights in my house.”
We continued at high speed down an empty road. After the border, the countryside slowly became greener. “Proper” African villages began to appear by the roadside, round mud-brick huts with conical straw roofs, full of straying goats. I would like to have stopped to take in the scenery occasionally, especially as we crossed the bridge over the White Volta, but for Marc this was a commuter-journey, to be endured not enjoyed.

His house turned out to be a pleasant whitewashed bungalow down a side street within walking distance of the centre of Ouagadougou. It had a staff: a sad-eyed housekeeper named Jean, whose first two tasks that evening, Marc instructed, were to pour beers and then take my laundry. My harissa-stained garments from the Sahara crossing had defeated previous efforts, and I had planned to give them to an opportune beggar, but bemused by the whole situation I included them in a rather sweaty bundle.
Marc drank two beers to my one, and explained what a wonderful place to live Burkina Faso was. We then drove over to his girlfriend’s (identical looking) bungalow on the far side of town for dinner. Marc drank five beers to my two, while the pair of them explained again what a wonderful place Burkina was. Their explanation was less than clear, and appeared to revolve around drinking in bars and/or shooting animals, mainly in neighbouring countries rather than Burkina itself. Marc then drove back through the unlit streets, and poured himself a huge scotch (I declined). Ouagadougou was a marvellous place to live, he asserted in case I hadn’t already understood, downing another large gulp of whisky.

At breakfast he looked somewhat worse for wear, compounded by an early morning support-call into his helpdesk. My laundry was in much better condition, immaculately presented by Jean with my T-shirts miraculously harissa-free and actually ironed (when had he found time to do all this?). Jean then disappeared briefly and returned with fresh French bread to accompany the excellent coffee.
I headed into “wonderful Ouagadougou” to look around. It is the only capital city I have been in with more goats than people (mental-flash image: Thursday 5pm, boarding the Piccadilly Line Tube at Leicester Square). There were indeed some bars, occupied by the usual aid-agency workers with their four-wheel-drives watched over by badly tipped young boys. There was a French supermarket, less splendidly located than the one in Niamey. There was a small cathedral and a smaller mosque (unlike the surrounding countries, Burkina Faso is not predominantly Islamic). There were dusty streets lined with dustier shops. There was not much else. I found the bush-taxi park in preparation for next morning, and returned to the house.

Not much to photograph: bush-taxi park.

In the living room was a piano, a missed pleasure, and since Marc was still out I played for a bit, watching the geckos scamper across the walls. Jean came to watch, and when my limited repertoire was exhausted, I thanked him for the laundry and asked about his life. He almost smiled, and told me that he lived with his family a short distance away. He was lucky to have this job, the patron was very generous, it paid well, and there were many side benefits: Marc often threw away good stuff.
Marc returned carrying in some boxes of miscellaneous PC spares, swiftly downed a first beer, and was embarking on the second: “What do you think of Ouagadougou?”

No comments:

Post a Comment