Togo to Benin

Something was the matter with me. I sat in my relatively pleasant room with its view towards the sea feeling unenthusiastic. The walk along the beach-front into the city-centre, objectively both rather beautiful and scattered with local colour, had felt merely tedious. The only thing I felt like eating was ice-cream. The only reason to walk to the city-centre was the German-run ice-cream parlour. A small vanilla scoop there cost twice the price of a decent meal in a local café. I felt ill after eating it.
Morosely, I flicked through the traveller’s health appendices of one of my guidebooks, but found nothing helpful. I went out for another walk but returned after a few hundred metres. I couldn’t be bothered with it. I picked up the other guide: “…symptoms include loss of energy and appetite, general malaise, pale-coloured stools, sulphur smelling belching…” I heaved a sigh of relief, and headed for the nearest pharmacy.
My (minimal) understanding of the human immune system is that it is optimised, from birth and before, either to be good at dealing with germs and bacteria or to be good at dealing with parasitic infections, but not both. If you are raised in a clean, modern western city, and made to wash your hands before every meal as child, then you probably don’t major on the parasitic infections side of things. Based on my experiences as a traveller, I seem to be an extreme case.

The recommended treatment was the antibiotic metrodinazole, branded as Flagyl. Thankfully it was stocked in the nearest pharmacy, and this being Africa, no prescription was required in order to purchase it. My guidebook suggested a dosage, and lacking any other information, I followed its advice. With hindsight it is possible that its recommendation to “take three on the first day” may not have meant three at the same time. Be that as it may, no parasite could have survived the resulting conflagration in my guts.
My symptoms matched those of the parasitic infection giardia, most easily contracted from eating undercooked infected food. It was not difficult to understand how this might have happened. I had left Marc with his hangover quite early in the morning, and walked down to the Ouagadougou bush-taxi park. Evidently I was already too late. I should have come at dawn, I was told. Nevertheless, if I was prepared to wait, eventually a minibus would fill up with passengers and head south towards the Togolese border. No taxi ever leaves with an inch of spare passenger space, so these situations are simply a question of patience. Quite how much patience is very hard to determine, as all the passengers know that the vehicle won’t leave without them, and so keep wandering away. As the day wore on towards lunchtime, the most edible-looking food on offer was “brochette”, basically a barbecued goat-meat sandwich. From its taste, it could quite easily have been undercooked, infected, or any other dubious verb-ed. I only swallowed one mouthful, but that was probably enough.

Eventually we set off, apparently in completely the wrong direction. A few of the passengers ventured a small protest, but the driver was unmoved. We turned down some sandy back streets, carefully steering around the goats, and eventually pulled up outside a small house. The driver disappeared inside, and emerged triumphantly bearing his lunchbox, which he had forgotten to pack earlier. Evidently he was wise enough not to try the brochettes and stuck to his wife’s home-cooking.
We headed extremely slowly towards the border. There were villages every few kilometres, and at each one it seemed a passenger needed to get off, which meant also finding his or her luggage on the roof, and lowering it down. As it was unthinkable to travel any distance with a spare space, a new passenger had to be swiftly picked up, with associated reverse process for luggage. We finally arrived around dusk. The border was still open, but by the time passport formalities were completed, including a rather hopeful search of my rucksack, all transport on the Togolese side had ended for the day. I could purchase a ticket for the dawn bus, and did so, but there seemed to be no prospect of accommodation. The only food option was more brochettes, which looked as though they had been there all day and certainly smelt like it. However there was a vacant concrete bench so I slept on it with my rucksack for a pillow. Fortunately there was no possibility of getting cold.

The journey down to the capital Lomé was tiresome but uneventful. One of my guidebooks suggested a hotel which managed both to be cheap and reasonably pleasant and to actually exist when I got there. The city itself was much like other African capitals with two exceptions: the presidential palace was by the attractive beach but the improbably grand “Hotel du 2nd Fevrier” was not. Apparently it had been named in honour of the nationalisation of the phosphates industry (Togo had had a relative shortage of violent coups to leave it with other significant dates), and towered high over the rest of the city, a glass and concrete white elephant. Nobody seemed to be staying in it.
Getting in the catch: beach at Lomé

Possibly due to feeling ill, I found it a difficult town to like. More pressingly the Nigerian consulate was inexplicably closed. Lacking a visa, a 2000km detour via an unstable Chad beckoned. Feeling somewhat better after my first violent encounter with the Flagyl, I decided to press on to Benin to complete my recovery and visa collection.
I had only once previously been a motorcycle pillion passenger, finding the experience simultaneously thrilling and alarming, and disliking the heavy helmet. In Cotonou motorbike taxi was the preferred means of public transport. Without a helmet, but with my rucksack strapped loosely to my back continually throwing me off balance, it was simply alarming.

The rainy season was approaching, it was stiflingly hot and humid, and I still had a craving for ice-cream. Presumably these cravings are caused by a lack of elements normally present in the diet. On a previous journey across South America, I had started to dream about a bowl of Weetabix, and later on this trip I became desperate for a pint of Guinness. I don’t normally care much for either ice-cream or Weetabix. The Cotonou French patisserie boasted such frigid air-con that it presumably made its surprisingly cheap ice-cream without the need for expensive additional refrigeration.

Next day, donning my “official shirt and tie” (very rumpled after residing at the bottom of my rucksack), I set out extremely early for the Nigerian consulate, aiming to be first in the queue and also, since the official shirt was rather thick, to avoid the midday heat. Arriving well before it opened, I spotted a coffee stand along the street, where the witchlike old-woman who ran it was just brewing up for the day. Water was just coming to the boil in a large cauldron, into which she carefully spooned a prescribed quantity of Nescafe. Two small tins of condensed milk followed, accompanied by careful stirring. She was now ready to dispense, scooping out a cupful and then pouring it flamboyantly from high mug to low mug to cool it down to drinking temperature.
The Nigerian consul complemented me on the official shirt and tie - “many people who come here dress like tramps” – and promised that since I had made the effort to be smart, I could have my visa the same afternoon. I did not yet feel quite recovered enough to face Nigeria, and sought out some entertainment while I waited another day or two. Posters for a “battle of the reggae bands” in the covered stadium looked promising. There were three different ticket prices, so I opted for the middle, the correct decision as the more expensive seats were entirely occupied by the local elite, the men looking very hot in suits, the women in full African-style finery.

The music, mostly cover versions of Bob Marley played very well on indifferent instruments through impressive speakers, was quite good. My neighbour was less impressed, haranguing me during an interval in extremely rapid French featuring the word ‘injustice’ repeatedly. As I understood it, the battle was actually a competition, with a quite decent cash prize for the winners. As my neighbour saw it, it was all a sham, the elite at the front had decided the winners beforehand, and furthermore the ticket prices had been designed to ensure that nobody else could afford to sit where they could influence the judges.
I shot the sheriff but I did not shoot his deputy plus corrupt judges: Nigeria beckoned.

No comments:

Post a Comment